Address and Contact
138-46 Northern Boulevard
7Q16Q20AQ20BQ44Q13Q28Q66LIRR Port Washington Line (Flushing-Main Street)
MEMBERSHIP HOURS MON - FRI: 7:00am–8:45pm
MEMBERSHIP HOURS SAT - SUN: 8:00am–5:45pm
The first YMCA branch in Flushing opened before the area was part of New York City, in 1895. It closed in 1897, however, due to financial problems. Not until 1926 did a branch reopen in Flushing, as part of the significant expansion of the Brooklyn YMCA, soon to be called the Brooklyn and Queens YMCA. The branch, as envisioned in 1920, served Bayside, Douglaston, College Point, Whitestone, and other communities in the immediate area. Ground was broken in December 1924, and the building was ready for occupancy in March 1926.
The Flushing branch broke new ground in several ways. First, by 1927 there were almost 900 women on the facility membership roles. Second, the Flushing branch planners were responsible for expanding the name of the association from the Brooklyn YMCA to the Brooklyn and Queens YMCA, a change that occurred in 1924. The Flushing branch became known for its swimming programs, and was the training home of several Olympic swimmers, including Lynn Burke, who won the gold in the 100 meter backstroke in 1960, and Wayne Anderson, a breast stroke swimmer who competed in the 1964 Olympics. Still with an avid swim team, the Flushing Flyers, the Flushing Y continues to take home medals at city and state YMCA swim competitions.
Today, the branch continues to welcome visitors from around the world, offering more than 125 hotel rooms and access to its world-class swimming and fitness facilities. The Flushing Y continues to build on its historic emphasis on aquatics, providing swimming classes for all ages and levels of ability.